Friday, July 10, 2015
Friday whatuppp? Ha, happy Friday, everyone. Here are five things that caught my eye this week :)
1. Rosa's Pizza in Philly. This pizza place just warms my heart! The owner has a "pay-it-forward" campaign where customers can purchase an extra slice of pizza for someone in need. It started with little sticky notes on the wall to keep track of who had purchased a slice of pizza—you could just grab a sticky note and bring it to the register for your pizza. Now the owner keeps track of the "donated slices" at the register. You could even donate a slice online if you wanted ;) Anyhow, you should check out his story if you haven't!
2. This doggy pool party. What's Friday Faves without something with super cute animals in it? Some of the photos of dogs caught midair are just hilarious.
3. Awkward Everyday Lives of Animals. HA, I just love these. They are cute little animal illustrations by Simpsons illustrator Liz Climo. They'll make you laugh quietly to yourself.
4. Maskcara's video of her husband doing her makeup. I just think it's sweet :)
5. Scandinavian sod roofs (or 'turf houses'). This was a traditional technique for roofing used even into the 19th century. They would literally cut squares of sod from a nearby pasture and use them for the roofs. So neat! Here's a Pinterest board of 'em.
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Mmm...peanut butter. My friend and I were craving something that was chocolate + peanut butter, and I realized...why on earth is peanut butter frosting not yet on the blog?? It's super easy—just mix peanut butter into a typical buttercream frosting! Keep scrolling for ze recipe.
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
Makes enough for just over 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9" round cake.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 TB milk or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- Cream the butter for a good few minutes.
- Gradually beat in some of the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the milk or cream and vanilla.
- Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be.
- Finish by mixing in the peanut butter. And be sure to taste as you're adding peanut butter—this is a step where you can adjust the ingredient amount based on your preference.
- Apply frosting to completely cooled cupcakes or cake.
Happy hump day :)
Monday, July 6, 2015
Hey, all. Happy belated Fourth of July! I ended up spending the weekend with my friend Victoria's family, and it was a blast! We kinda just relaxed and had a barbecue with lots of delicious food, whilst listening to wonderfully patriotic music. Anyway, I just thought I'd stop by with some photos :) I actually didn't get many of fireworks this time (unlike last year when DC fireworks made for incredible photos), but I do have some from an impromptu photo shoot that Victoria and I had during the barbecue. Enjoy our silliness!
Victoria being a total babe as always.
Fact: I actually dislike getting my picture taken. I know. I need to get over it.
July 4, 2015: the day I became a pirate with a hook hand.
Insta photos are the best :)
Annnd...for the fashionably curious: Victoria's top / my top / Victoria's lipstick / my lipstick
Friday, June 26, 2015
1. This video of a cat on the ASOS catwalk. Guys. I have a really simple sense of humor sometimes. And when it involves cats? Even more simple. Here's to all you cat lovers who want to laugh for 22 seconds.
2. This girl's Etsy shop of watercolor LDS artwork. It's called Artwork by Celeste. Just click over and try to pick your favorite, I dare you :)
3. The new Credo Beauty store in San Francisco. Two things I love about this. 1) It's another push for natural beauty products, which often also means a push for cruelty-free beauty products (fun fact: I try to go cruelty-free as much as possible when selecting makeup. I'm kinda passionate about it.) And 2), the store is super stylin'. I'll be honest...the price points you'll find there are a bit out of my budget, buuut it's something I was gawking at this week nonetheless. Anyway. Ima stop talking about this because I feel annoyingly vain when I think about makeup too much.
4. This story about a stray dog who joined a Swedish athletic team in a 400-kilometer race. I came across it on Pinterest, and good gosh, stuff like this just warms my heart. In case you didn't know...I geek out over animals. A lot.
5. This quote: "I swear to you, there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell." From Walt Whitman's "Song of the Open Road." So so true.