Do you like the discreet Halloween colors there? I’m thinking orange + chocolate might not be a bad combination, huh? Maybe for your next Halloween party… Anyway, I’m going to just get straight to the recipe here. Happy Monday!
ORANGE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9″ round cake.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 TB milk or cream
- 2–4 TB orange zest, or 1/2–3/4 tsp orange extract*
- a pinch of salt (optional)
* Either of these is fine (granted, “orange extract” is definitely one of those novelty extracts.) But don’t use orange juice! Fruit juice + frosting = not good. And I’ve given you ranges so that you can determine just how orangey you want your frosting to be.
- If you haven’t already, go ahead and grate your orange to make a tablespoon of orange zest (that is, if you’re doing zest instead of extract.)
- Cream the butter for a good few minutes.
- Gradually beat in some the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the milk or cream and the orange zest or extract.
- Finish by incorporating the rest of the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be. (Just be sure to test along the way, since your frosting can quickly become too sweet.)