Hi, there. I think it’s high time I share some Friday faves again, yeah? Here are a few things that inspired me this week…
1. This post about a young mom who let her toddler dress her for a week. Little kids’ rationales for things are simply the best.
2. Everyone’s Upstairs Neighbors. This video is a work of art. Here’s a small sampling: “Their ceiling is our stage, and we’re dancing across it.”
3. These PMS ice creams. Sadly they’re only theoretical, as a design student created the packaging for a design project, but I think someone needs to jump on this asap.
4. This quote from psychologist and sociologist Hugh Mackay:
I actually attack the concept of happiness. The idea that…everything we do is part of the pursuit of happiness seems to me a really dangerous idea and has led to a contemporary disease in Western society, which is fear of sadness. … We’re kind of teaching our kids that happiness is the default position—it’s rubbish. Wholeness is what we ought to be striving for and part of that is sadness, disappointment, frustration, failure; all of those things which make us who we are. Happiness and victory and fulfillment are nice little things that happen to us, but they don’t teach us much. Everyone says we grow through pain and then as soon as they experience pain they say ‘Quick! Move on! Cheer up!’ I’d like just for a year to have a moratorium on the word ‘happiness’ and to replace it with the word ‘wholeness’. Ask yourself ‘is this contributing to my wholeness?’ and if you’re having a bad day, it is.
5. This girl’s style. I just discovered the blog Something Devine recently (well…a coworker showed it to me), and I just think she’s the cutest! I’m probably biased because she talks about Scandinavia a lot, but she’s major talented with her photography and videography, and I just think you should follow her asap.