Now that it’s officially summer, it’s about time I posted a coconut frosting recipe, huh? I actually have two recipes for this in the works, but here is the first one! This one simply uses an extract to get you the coconut flavor you want. I, myself, am kind of a fan of using the real thing over an extract in recipes, so once I nail down a recipe for coconut frosting using coconut milk, I’ll post that and link to it here as well!
Enjoy this in the meantime 🙂
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9″ round cake.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 TB milk or cream
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- Cream the butter for a good few minutes.
- Gradually beat in some the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the milk or cream and vanilla.
- Finish by incorporating the rest of the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be. (Just be sure to test along the way, since your frosting can quickly become too sweet!)
- Apply frosting to completely cooled cupcakes or cake.