Coconut pecan frosting—this frosting is a little different but pairs perfectly with the German Chocolate cake recipe I showed you on Wednesday. Here’s how to make it!
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
Makes enough for 18 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9″ round cake.
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 3/4 stick butter
- 3/4 cup white or brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (not salted)
- Combine the evaporated milk, butter, sugar, and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a low simmer and stir frequently over medium heat for about 10–12 minutes, until the mixture is golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large heat-proof bowl. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge. Stir in the vanilla, coconut flakes, and chopped pecans.
- Spoon frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes or cake.