Mm mm mmm. Cinnamon. In a cake. Today I have this delicious cinnamon cake recipe lined up for ya…and you can make it into cake or cupcakes. I love this recipe because it’s interesting, yet still basic enough to pair with a neat frosting. Know what I mean? I’m thinking that coconut or chocolate would be particularly amazing. And hey—there’s always more cinnamon 😉
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2–3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter at a high speed, and gradually beat in the sugar. Then, beat in the egg whites.
- Now you will gradually be adding the dry mixture and the milk to the butter-sugar-egg mixture. To do this, alternate mixing in some of the dry mixture, followed by some milk, followed by some dry mixture… You get the picture. Do that until you’ve incorporated the dry mixture and the milk completely. Just don’t over-mix here.
- Finish by incorporating the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Baking time! For cupcakes, fill your liners 2/3 full and bake for 17 to 22 minutes. For a cake, fill a greased 9-inch round cake pan about 2/3 full with batter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Use the toothpick test for perfect doneness.
…And sometimes when you keep running out of time during the week you end up taking cupcake photos at work. (Thanks for the documentation, Alyssa 😉