‘Tis the season of pumpkin, and today I present a delicious pumpkin cake recipe. You may have seen this before, actually, as I first posted it here on the blog for this mason jar cakes post. But. I thought I’d bring it to you in cake and cupcake format (:
PUMPKIN CAKE BATTER
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter at a high speed, and gradually beat in the sugar. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Now you will gradually be adding the dry mixture and the pumpkin purée to the butter-sugar-egg mixture. To do this, alternate mixing in some of the dry mixture, followed by some purée, followed by some dry mixture… You get the picture. Do that until you’ve incorporated the dry mixture and the purée completely. Just don’t over-mix here.
- Finish by incorporating the vanilla and spices.
- Baking time! For cupcakes, fill your liners just over 2/3 full and bake for 17 to 22 minutes. For a cake, fill a greased 9-inch round cake pan about 2/3 full with batter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Use the toothpick test for perfect doneness.
For the frosting, I used my cinnamon frosting recipe (coming later this week!), but feel free to explore my other frosting recipes for some full-on customization.