Finally! A cake recipe to go along with my recent orange frosting recipe.
ORANGE CAKE BATTER
Makes 12 cupcakes or enough batter for one 9" round cake pan. Double the recipe if you'd like a full-sized cake.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- zest from 2 oranges
Firstly, in case you haven't, you should check out my basic cake baking method and my list of cake baking tips! Every cake batter recipe I post follows that same method, and my cake baking tips are great tips to memorize for whenever you're preparing a cake batter such as this.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter at a high speed, and gradually beat in the sugar. Then, beat in the egg whites.
- Now you will gradually be adding the dry mixture and the milk to the butter-sugar-egg mixture. To do this, alternate mixing in some of the dry mixture, followed by some milk, followed by some dry mixture... You get the picture. Do that until you've incorporated the dry mixture and the milk completely. Just don't over-mix here.
- Finish by incorporating the vanilla.
- If you're making cupcakes, pour the batter into greased or lined cupcake wells until 3/4 full and bake for 18 to 22 minutes. If you're baking a cake, pour the batter into a greased 9" round cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Rely on the toothpick test here for a perfect cooking time—a toothpick inserted into the middle should come out with some crumbs on it.
Eat up :)