Confetti (a.k.a. Funfetti®) cupcakes are SO much fun. I don't know why I haven't made them until now. And I feel like homemade confetti cake is all the more special because confetti cake is kind of your prototypical boxed-mix cake, am I right? That's just what I'm thinkin'... Anyway. Let's do this at every birthday party from now on, okay?
Party in your mouth, yo!
Alright. Here is ze recipe...
CONFETTI CAKE BATTER
Makes 14–15 cupcakes or just over enough batter for one 9" round cake pan. (Note that a typical cake involves doubling the recipe and baking two pans' worth of batter.)
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
If you haven't already, you should check out my basic cake baking method and my list of cake baking tips! Every cake batter recipe I post follows that same method, and my cake baking tips are great tips to memorize for whenever you're preparing a cake batter such as this.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter at a high speed, and gradually beat in the sugar. Then, beat in the egg whites.
- Now you will gradually be adding the dry mixture and the milk to the butter-sugar-egg mixture. To do this, alternate mixing in some of the dry mixture, followed by some milk, followed by some dry mixture... You get the picture. Do that until you've incorporated the dry mixture and the milk completely. Just don't over-mix here.
- Finish by incorporating the vanilla and sprinkles.
- Baking time! For cupcakes, fill your liners 2/3 full and bake for 17 to 22 minutes. For a cake, fill a greased 9-inch round cake pan about 2/3 full with batter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Use the toothpick test for perfect doneness. Remember...crumbs!