So you may remember from a while back that I created a Neapolitan cupcake featuring a chocolate and vanilla cake base and a topping of strawberry frosting. I love this frosting recipe because it involves using an incredibly easy trick in customizing frosting flavors—making a typical cream cheese frosting but with a special flavor of cream cheese. So yep, this is nothing more than my regular cream cheese frosting recipe using strawberry cream cheese. Which is great because you avoid trying to add fruit juice to your frosting, which is one of the few things I can think of that will actually mess up your frosting if you mix it in. Make sense?
Anyhow, I thought I'd share just the frosting recipe here so that it's a little easier to find! Careful...it tastes kinda similar to ice cream ;)
STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Makes enough for about 18 cupcakes. (So you can freeze the extra!)
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 6 oz. strawberry cream cheese*
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tsp vanilla
- a dash of salt
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be.
- Finish by stirring in the vanilla and salt.
- Apply frosting to completely cooled cupcakes or cake.