Ha, so as you may have noticed, I've been posting lots of sugary recipes here on the blog lately. But hey, that's what happens when both of your parents have birthdays in the same week! Lemon happens to be my mom's favorite dessert flavor, so I baked her a lemon cake with lemon frosting for her special day. And I managed to take some glamour shots before we dug into it ;)
Here's the recipe for the lemon frosting I prepared!
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9" round cake.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 TB milk or cream
- 1–2 TB lemon zest, or 1/2–3/4 tsp lemon extract*
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- If you haven't already, go ahead and grate your lemon to make a tablespoon of lemon zest (that is, if you're doing zest instead of extract.)
- Cream the butter for a good few minutes.
- Gradually beat in some the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the milk or cream and the lemon zest or extract.
- Finish by incorporating the rest of the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be. (Just be sure to test along the way, since your frosting can quickly become too sweet.)