I think this frosting pairs perfectly with hazelnut cake, but let's be honest...what does Nutella not taste fantastic with?
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9" round cake.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 TB milk or cream
- 2–6 TB Nutella
- Cream the butter for a good few minutes.
- Gradually beat in some the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the milk or cream.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be. (Just be sure to test along the way, since your frosting can quickly become too sweet!)
- Finish by incorporating the Nutella, tasting as you go until you reach the desired amount of Nutella flavor.
- Apply frosting to completely cooled cupcakes or cake.