BASIC CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or for half of a standard double-layer 9" round cake.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 4–8 oz. neufchâtel or cream cheese
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. The more you add, the stiffer your frosting will be.
- Beat your frosting for a few minutes. The more air you incorporate, the better!
- Finish by incorporating the vanilla and salt.
- Apply frosting to completely cooled cupcakes or cake.
- Note: A cake with this frosting should be refrigerated since the frosting contains cream cheese.
- Another note: You may have some frosting left over. Freeze it in a plastic baggy, and the next time you need to frost something you can just let it thaw, snip off the corner of the bag, and frost to your heart's content.